U.S. Flag

An official State of Ohio government website.


The site is secure.
The https:// ensures you're connecting to the official website and any information you provide is encrypted and cannot be seen by anyone else.

Dot gov

The .gov means it's official
Many state and federal websites end in .gov, a domain only used by government entities in the U.S.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Must a voter show an election official an acceptable proof of identification to vote a regular ballot?

Yes. If they do not, they must vote a provisional ballot.

2. Are passports an acceptable form of voter ID?

No, Ohio law does not include passports as an acceptable form of identification.

3. Who is required to transport voted ballots to the board of elections after the polls close?

The ballots and required voting materials and supplies must be transported to the board of elections by a voting location manager with a precinct election official, employee, or appointee of the board to whom an oath was given and who is a member of a different political party than the voting location manager. Please also refer to specific transport instructions provided by your board of elections for more details.

4. How should a precinct election official respond when a voter asks specific questions about candidates or issues?

Precinct election officials should respond that they cannot advise, instruct, or educate voters on candidates or issues.

5. If a voter arrives by 7:29 p.m., can they still vote?

Yes. Allow any voter in line at 7:30 p.m. to vote. At 7:30 p.m. lock the doors, if possible, or direct a precinct election official to stand at the end of line and inform any voters arriving after 7:30 p.m. that the polls are closed.

6. Is there a time limit for voters to vote?

Yes. There is a 10-minute time limit when all machines or voting compartments are in use and voters are waiting to use them. However, precinct election officials should be flexible in enforcing that time limit and ask voters who are taking longer than normal if they need assistance. The 10-minute limit for occupying a voting compartment does not apply to any voter requiring the use of a disabled-accessible voting machine. (R.C. 3505.23)

7. Can I refuse to allow an irate or drunken person to vote?

No. If necessary, the sheriff, police, or other peace officers may be called upon for assistance, but all electors should be allowed to vote. Use common sense, prudent judgment, and superior customer service when dealing with difficult voters.

8. What should a precinct election official do with a list of eligible write-in candidates provided by the board of elections?

The list should be shown to any voter who asks for a list of write-in candidates. Precinct election officials may not post the list.

9. A voter enters the polling location wearing campaign attire. What do you do?

Politely ask the voter to remove or cover the items, because, by law, the polling location must be free of any campaign paraphernalia, including attire. If the voter refuses, the voter can still vote, but you must notify the board of elections of the incident.

10. A voter brings an absentee ballot to the voting location. What do you do?

Absentee ballots cannot be accepted at the polling location on Election Day. Advise the voter that he or she can take the voted absentee ballot to the board of elections office by 7:30 p.m. on Election Day.

11. Does a provisional voter need to show ID to a precinct election official when completing the provisional ballot envelope (Form 12-B)?

It depends on the form of identification. If the voter is using his or her driver's license number or the last four digits of his or her Social Security number, the voter does not have to show ID to the precinct election official. If the voter is providing any other form of ID, the voter must actually show the ID to the precinct election official.

12. Will completing the Identification Envelope - Provisional Ballot Affirmation (Form 12-B) register a non-registered voter for future elections?

Yes. The Identification Envelope - Provisional Ballot Affirmation (Form 12-B) can be used to register a previously unregistered person if it is properly completed.
Resources Glossary Contact Us Site Navigation Tips